ReTux is a 100% libre software and 100% libre culture action platformer loosely inspired by the Mario games, utilizing the art assets from the SuperTux project. The name "ReTux" is a play on the words "redux" and "Tux".
Although ReTux re-uses the art assets of SuperTux, no code from SuperTux is used in ReTux. The software portion of ReTux is entirely new, written in Python and based on the SGE Game Engine. ReTux also has several distinctions in its gameplay compared to both SuperTux and the Mario games, many of which are made apparent by watching these videos. Some particular distinctions of ReTux include:
- Play through 41 action-packed levels with some puzzle elements, taking place on the snow-covered Icy Island.
- Health is represented by hearts which are restored by collecting coins, making a wide variety of difficulties possible without making the game frustrating.
- Powers are obtained by using special items directly rather than by transforming. Some such items include fire flowers (which shoot fireballs), ice flowers (which shoot ice bullets), and lanterns (which light up dark areas).
- Your character's state is reset upon entering a new level, allowing more fine-tuned level design.
- Items are picked up automatically and either used or thrown by pressing the "action" key.
- Running is automatic. To walk, you can either hold the dedicated "sneak" key, or you can use an analog stick to finely control your speed.
- You will never be forced to backtrack further because you failed too many times. Lives are infinite and checkpoints never stop working.
- The game is fully accessible to colorblind and color deficient people.
- Feeling creative? You can create your own levels for ReTux using the Tiled map editor, and share them with your friends using the Import/Export options.
- The game is 100% libre software and 100% libre culture. The easy to read Python source code is fully available, and you have the liberty to do virtually whatever you want with it under the terms of the GNU GPL. The data is under various libre culture licenses; you can find a list of the files and their licenses here. You won't find any restrictive EULA or DRM here!
Interested? Get ReTux here!
News about ReTux is posted here. You can follow it by subscribing to the Atom feed: